Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Unbirthday

Kiss me slowly.
And as your lips touch mine,
the world around me changes.
I am no longer standing in
my bedroom.
I am standing in a forest of old.
I grab a hold of you in fear,
but you're not there.
I'm here alone.
I slowly walk the path
ahead of me.
The flowers here are larger than me.
And the trees are the odd colors
of purple and magenta.
The grass is green,
and I notice the creatures
around me.
A man in a top hat comes
towards me.
He is older than me.
"We've been expecting you, Karen."
"You have?" I ask.
He nods and grabs my hand.
"This way to the party!"
We run down the path and
I hear music all around me.
I see further ahead decorations
and tables and chairs.
This must be the party!
"She's here!"
The others exclaim!
The man in the top hat directs
me to a chair at the head of
the table and seats himself beside me.
I turn to the man in the top hat
and whisper what is the occasion?
"Why it's your Unbirthday, silly girl." he answers me.
"Happy Unbirthday to you, Karen!'  The others cry out!
I clap and a cake is brought forth my way.
I cut it and give everyone a piece.
This was a nice Unbirthday.
Suddenly, I hear a horrible shout!
"Off with her head!"
I look up the table and see a Queen garbed in red
waving her wand and shouting at me.
I grab for my neck and stand and run.
How do I get out of here?
I hear many footsteps stomping
behind me, gaining fast.
"Off with her head!  Off with her head!"
The Red Queen shouts!
I see a door.
That must be the way out!
I run to it.
I try the handle.
It's locked.
I begin pounding on it!
"Let me in, let me in!"
I'm trapped.
I don't know what to do.
I bend down and look through the key hole.
There I am sleeping in my bed with my kitties.
"Wake up, Karen!  Wake up!"
"Off with her head!  Off with her head!"
"Please, Karen, wake up!"
"Off...with...her...head!"
I wake!
Eyes wide open.
I can still hear the Queen.
I turn the bedside lamp on.
I will continue my sleeping
with the light on.

 copyright © Karen Elizabeth Waters 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a line down the hole...