Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Something of a Different Nature

The last thing I remembered
was his eyes and how his
lips felt cold against my throat.

I later found myself
in a shallow grave.
No one to greet me when
I reached the surface.

One hand burned
from exposure
Am I something
of a different nature?
Who can I turn to?

I'm hungry.
But where am I?
I must be a fright to see.
I walk, no glide
across the path through
the forest.

I can hear the whispers around me.
Am I something
of different nature?
What has become of me?

I smell something
sweet and intoxicating.
Something I've never
smelled before.
I need it.
I want it.
It's making me hungrier.

A man, a hunter
camping, preparing his meal.
I venture closer.
He doesn't hear me.
I creep up to him and speak.
I startle him.
"Why miss, you shouldn't
be alone in these parts.
Someone as pretty as you
could get hurt."

He's the source of the
delicious smell.
Am I something of a
different nature?

Incisors grow.
Fangs show.
I leap and grab
him by the throat.
Bite...suck...swallow...feed.

I am something of a
different nature.
A creature of the night.

I am a vampire.

Welcome to my world.

 copyright © Karen Elizabeth Waters 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to drop a line down the hole...